Sunday, September 28, 2008

GO PIRATES!

I have previously professed my love for the Pittsburgh Pirates on this blog. I have been rooting for them ever since I had the 1971 Pirates Strat-O team. I would use them vs. the other good teams from the early 70's, the Orioles (with Al Bumbry and Don Buford), Dodgers (Davey Lopes), Reds (Bobby Tolan) and Athletics (Billy North, Joe Rudi, Sal Bando and Campy Campanaris).

Willie Stargell, Roberto Clemente, Manny Sanguillen and Dock Ellis were my favorite players. Al Oliver and Richie Hebner too. I have stood by them steadfastly since then. They had many many bad years since then, including 100-loss seasons in the 80's, 90's and 2000's. The losing seasons were only interrupted by the Barry Bonds-led teams from 1990 to 1992. Bonds left in '92 and it has been downhill ever since. As they finish this horrid season, they have matched the dubious record for futility with their 16th consecutive losing season. Breaking the record next season is a virtual lock


But, recently, they have taken some aggressive action that has shown them to be a team to truly root for, a team that really has balls, as this article deftly illustrates...GO BUCCOS!!!

2 comments:

mag said...

no comment Bro,.....I'm strictly a Football fan..Hey how Bout them Cowboys....Did you see the look on Jerry's Face after they got whopped by the Skins...????....Bummer....mag

pc said...

Hey you can't win 'em all...The Boys had no fire today. Skins out-played 'em in every way..