Saturday, October 18, 2008

Levi Stubbs' Tears

Thanx to Ant for the news in the comments from the last post. The news is timely in that I will be seeing Billy Bragg for the 8th time this Sunday nite...


Ant and I saw Billy for the first time I think in 1984 at the Lone Star Cafe in NYC for what I believe was his first US visit.



(photo by Ant)

I am sure he will be mentioning the passing of Motown legends Norman Whitfield and Levi Stubbs, as they are mentioned here in the classic "Levi Stubbs' Tears"

"Norman Whitfield and Barratt Strong
Are here to make everything right that's wrong
Holland and Holland and Lamont Dozier too
Are here to make it all okay with you"

and the chorus..

"When the world falls apart some things stay in place
Levi Stubbs' tears run down his face"


Take it away Billy...

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Wasn't it the fall of 85? I think it was - that was when I was at NYU. You should take some of those photos and try to give some to him.

pc said...

Yes you are right. I do usually carry a photo in my back pocket whenever I go see him just in case...